Sometime in the last couple of weeks, I noticed that the pitch servo wasn’t controlling the plane. I did some ground diagnosis and determined that the shear screw had sheared or some reason. I don’t recall any forces that would have caused this, so I can’t say why it happened. Dynon sent out a shear screw replacement kit a few days ago and I stopped by the airport this morning to install it and put the plane back together.
It’s amazing that this tiny cross section of brass is critical to the autopilot being able to control the aircraft.
I reassembled the control arm and tested the autopilot servo. Everything worked as expected, so I reinstalled the interior and updated the logbook.